April 29, 2014
The Terms prohibit use of the JoynIn Service by users under the age of 18 – if you are under 18, you may not use the JoynIn Service. The App and the JoynIn Service are intended for persons over the age of 18, and we will not knowingly collect information from persons under the age of 18.
The Information JoynIn Collects:
- User-Provided Information: You may provide to JoynIn what is generally called "personally identifiable" information (such as your name, photograph, e-mail address, postal mailing address, home/mobile telephone number, location, and other identifying information) when using the JoynIn Service, such as when you launch the App, register for the JoynIn Service, create a profile, enter search queries, submit User Submissions, submit your location, or interact with other users of the JoynIn Service through communication or messaging features.
- Location Information: The JoynIn Service is primarily designed to help you share information with others, including in whole or in part based on your location. You may opt out of Location-based services by not using our mobile phone applications, such as our Android App. Alternatively, you may be able to disable or restrict access to location services using the configuration settings on your mobile phone. If you choose to use the JoynIn service with Location-based services enabled, JoynIn may collect your location based on information provided by you or available from your web browser or mobile device, including, if available, GPS, IP Address or cell tower information. If you choose to disable Location-based services, you will not be able to utilize certain features of the JoynIn Service.
- "Cookies" Information: When you use the JoynIn Service, we may send one or more cookies – small pieces of information containing a string of alphanumeric characters – to your computer or your mobile device. JoynIn may use both session cookies and persistent cookies. A session cookie disappears after you close your browser or the App. A persistent cookie remains after you close your browser or the App and may be used by your browser or the App on subsequent visits to the JoynIn Service. Persistent cookies can be removed. Please review the appropriate "Help" file to learn the proper way to modify your cookie settings. Please note that if you delete, or choose not to accept, cookies from the JoynIn Service, you may not be able to utilize the features of the JoynIn Service to their fullest potential. We may also use the Unique Device Identifier ("UDID"), or other device information that uniquely identifies individual smartphones or mobile devices (collectively, "Device ID"), if any, in order to authenticate the user session. This Device ID functions similarly to a cookie to make it possible to authenticate the user without the need for a password.
- "Flash Cookies" Information: Flash and other browser plugin applications use technology similar to cookies to enable the storage and recall of settings, preferences and usage data, and other information. Because they are stored in separate software applications, these types of cookies are not managed through your web browser’s cookie management interface. The JoynIn Service may employ such techniques, including Adobe Flash Cookies (also called "Local Shared Objects") to track information related to your interaction with features of the JoynIn Service through which Flash-based content is provided. You can access various Flash Cookie management tools and configure certain privacy and security settings for your Flash Player from Adobe’s web site directly.
- "Automatically Collected" Information: When you use the JoynIn Service, we may automatically record certain information from your web browser and/or the App by using different types of technology, including standard log files, "clear gifs" or "web beacons." This "automatically collected" information may include your Internet Protocol address, device model and/or type, device address or ID, location, web browser, the web pages or sites that you visit just before or just after the JoynIn Service, the pages you view on the JoynIn Service, and the dates and times that you visit the JoynIn Service.
- Third Party Web Beacons: We may also implement third party content, such as advertising, on the JoynIn service that uses "clear gifs," "web beacons," or other similar techniques, which allow the third party content provider to read and write cookies to your browser, or implement similar tracking mechanisms, in connection with your viewing of that third party content displayed on the JoynIn Service. This information is collected directly by the third party, and JoynIn does not participate in that data transmission or collection. Information collected by third parties in this manner is subject to that third party’s own data collection, use, and disclosure policies.
- Linked Service Information: When you link an account you may have on a third party service (such as your third party social networking site) to your account on the JoynIn Service, JoynIn may store the access credentials you provide, and will have access to and may collect any information you may have stored in connection with that account that you have configured that service to make available, including personally identifiable information and friends lists. By linking your accounts in this manner, you are authorizing JoynIn as your agent to access and use your account on the third party service in connection with your use of the JoynIn Service.
The Way JoynIn Uses Information:
- JoynIn uses the information you provide or that we collect to develop, operate, maintain, enhance, and provide all of the features and services found on the JoynIn Service now and in the future. We will use your email address to contact you for administrative purposes, for customer service purposes, to address intellectual property infringement, rights of privacy, or defamation issues, or regarding User Submissions that you have submitted to the JoynIn Service.
- JoynIn may use your email address or other personally identifiable information, including your location, to send (i) messages about the JoynIn Service, such as when you receive communications from another user or Participating Merchant sent using the JoynIn Service, (ii) promotional messages related to the JoynIn Service and the activities of third parties we work with, and (iii) communications on behalf of other users who think you may be interested in the JoynIn Service or certain content available on the JoynIn Service. JoynIn may from time to time offer you features to allow you to opt-out of or limit receiving certain types or forms of communications, such as opting out of receiving invitation and confirmation emails for an Offer.
- JoynIn uses the location information that you provide or that we collect to provide content and services to you based on your location, such as displaying User Submissions from other users of the JoynIn Service based on your location or allowing you to find Participating Merchants based on your location. JoynIn may also use your location in connection with a Visit to help verify your presence at a Participating Merchant, as well as for other current or future features of the JoynIn Service.
- JoynIn uses the information that you provide or that we collect, including location information, to understand and analyze the usage trends and preferences of our users, to improve the way the JoynIn Service works and looks, and to create new features and functionality.
When JoynIn Discloses Information:
We are not in the business of selling your information. We do, however, disclose your personally identifiable information in a variety of circumstances in connection with developing and maintaining the JoynIn Service and operating our business. For example:
- JoynIn may work with third party service providers in the U.S. and other jurisdictions to provide website development, hosting, maintenance, transcription, and support as well as other business services for us. To the extent it is necessary for these service providers to complete their work, these third parties may have access to or process your personally identifiable information. The recipients are limited to using and disclosing the information for the purpose for which it was provided.
- The JoynIn Service enables users to communicate in a variety of ways. Any personally identifiable information that you voluntarily choose to include in an area on the JoynIn Service accessible by other users, such as a User Posting that you submit, your public profile page or in a comment, Offer posting or other User Submission, will be available to other users. Once you make your personally identifiable information available to others in any of these ways, it may be collected and used by the recipients without restriction. Note that while JoynIn may from time to time give you tools to modify which groups of users can access certain of your User Submissions and other information, we cannot guarantee that use of these features will prevent access to information you post on the JoynIn Service by other users, whether surreptitiously or otherwise.
- JoynIn enables users to communicate directly with other users of the JoynIn Service. Any personally identifiable information that you voluntarily choose to include in a communication with other users, including your location information, will be available to such other users, in accordance with any privacy settings you have enabled for such communication.
- JoynIn enables users to create public profiles and your public profile information consists of materials you provide to JoynIn such as your name, photographs, age, location, your friends and service connections, your Offer, and the Participating Merchants you have designated as favorites. YOUR PUBLIC PROFILE INCLUDING YOUR OFFER INFORMATION DETAILING THE TIME, LOCATION, ASSOCIATED OFFER DETAILS, AND THE NAMES OF INVITEES WILL BE PUBLICLY AVAILABLE TO ANYONE WITH ACCESS TO THE INTERNET, AND THEREFORE MAY BE LISTED ON THIRD PARTY SITES SUCH AS IN SEARCH ENGINE RESULTS ON THIRD PARTY SEARCH ENGINE WEBSITES.
- JoynIn may disclose your personally identifiable information to the merchants where you have redeemed offers, made a Visit, or otherwise interacted with such merchants through the JoynIn Service, for the purpose of validating such Offer, and identifying you as a customer or potential customer so that the merchant can follow up with you directly about your experience, and about their other products and services that you may be interested in. Additionally, Participating Merchants will have access to any other information you make publicly available.
- JoynIn may disclose automatically collected and other aggregate non-personally-identifiable information with interested third parties, to assist such parties in understanding the usage, viewing, and demographic patterns for certain programs, content, services, advertisements, promotions, and/or functionality on the JoynIn Service.
- JoynIn may also disclose your information if required to do so by law or in the good-faith belief that such action is necessary or useful to comply with state and federal laws (such as U.S. Copyright law), to respond to a court order, judicial or other government subpoena or warrant, or to otherwise cooperate with law enforcement activity. JoynIn works to promote a safe and reliable service for all users. We reserve the right to disclose your information that we believe, in good faith, is appropriate or necessary to take precautions against liability; to protect JoynIn and others from fraudulent, abusive, predatory, or unlawful uses or activity; to investigate and defend ourselves against any third party claims or allegations; to assist government enforcement agencies; to protect the security or integrity of the JoynIn Service; or to protect or vindicate the rights, property, or personal safety of JoynIn, our users, or others.
In the Event of Merger or Sale:
In the event that all or a portion of JoynIn or its assets are acquired by or merged with a third party entity, we reserve the right, in any of these circumstances, to transfer or assign the information that we have collected from users in connection with such merger, acquisition, sale, or other change of control.
You may, of course, decline to share certain personally identifiable information with JoynIn, in which case JoynIn may not be able to provide to you some or all of the features and functionality found on the JoynIn Service. You may update, correct, or delete your profile information and preferences at any time by accessing your account preferences page through the JoynIn Service. Please note that while your changes are reflected promptly in active user databases, we may retain all information you submit for a variety of purposes, including backups and archiving, prevention of fraud and abuse, and analytics. Please note also that once you have publicly shared information, it may be re-shared by other users, and your subsequent modification or removal of that information will not necessarily affect all copies previously propagated by others.
To protect your privacy and security, we take reasonable steps to verify your identity before granting you account access or making corrections to your information. You are responsible for maintaining the secrecy of your unique password and account information at all times.
We may make certain tools and features for configuring your privacy settings available to you through the JoynIn Service, but such features and settings do not guarantee the anonymity or confidentiality of any information, including personally identifiable information and User Submissions, you provide or submit to the JoynIn Service.
Third Party Services:
The JoynIn Service contains links to Web sites and services provided by third parties. Any personally identifiable information you provide on third party sites or services is provided directly to that third party and is subject to that third party’s policies, if any, governing privacy and security. We are not responsible for the content or privacy and security practices and policies of third party sites or services to which links are displayed on the JoynIn Service. We encourage you to learn about third parties’ privacy and security policies before providing them with personally identifiable information.
Our Commitment to Data Security:
JoynIn employs certain physical, managerial, and technical safeguards designed to help protect the integrity and security of our systems. Notwithstanding these efforts, it is possible that certain third parties may gain unauthorized access to your personal information. In some cases this may happen without JoynIn’s knowledge. There is no guarantee that such information may not be accessed, disclosed, altered, or destroyed by breach of any of our physical, technical, or managerial safeguards. We cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to JoynIn or to any third party, and you do so at your own risk.
If JoynIn learns of a security systems breach, then we may attempt to notify you electronically through the information that you have provided to us in registering for the service so that you can take appropriate protective steps. JoynIn may post a notice through the JoynIn Service if a security breach occurs. Depending on where you live, you may have a legal right to receive notice of a security breach in writing, if you’d like to receive such a notice please notify us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The JoynIn Service is intended solely for visitors located within the United States. If you nonetheless choose to use the JoynIn Service from the European Union or other regions of the world with laws governing data collection and use that may differ from U.S. law, then please note that you are transferring your personally identifiable information outside of those regions to the United States for storage and processing and by providing your personally identifiable information on the JoynIn Service you consent to that transfer, storage, and processing. Further, we may transfer this data from the United States to other jurisdictions in connection with storage and processing of data, fulfilling your requests, and operating the JoynIn Service.
JoynIn Contact Information: